Heritage Day has become known to most South Africans as Braai Day* following a successful rebranding campaign in 2005, which is basically an annual meat-fest.
Let’s rebrand the rebranding! Join us in celebrating the diversity that makes up our heritage, with 100% plant-based goodness.
Vegilicious has partnered with the South African Vegan Society to give you a Braai Day: The Vegan Way. Bring your favourite veggies or vegan meats (did somebody say Fry’s?) for the braai as well as any other eats and drinks, for yourself or to share. There’ll be free tea and coffee 🙂
We’re also verrrrry excited to be able to offer free samples from our food partners:
- Fry’s Family Foods (vegan meats such as burgers, schnitzels, sausages, pies…)
- Utopia Foods (vegan cheese and yoghurt)
- Nobleway Foods Artisan Seitan (wheat meat FTW!)
- Phat Fox Frozen Fun (I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream!)
Seeya there! Here’s the Facebook event if you wanna let your friends know what you’re supporting 😉
* Archbishop Desmond Tutu was appointed the official patron of the rebranded holiday, encouraging South Africans to “[don] their aprons and [tuck] into a boerewors sausage”. Fortunately, Tutu has since become a voice for animals, highlighting the plight of animals worldwide:
“I have seen firsthand how injustice gets overlooked when the victims are powerless or vulnerable, when they have no one to speak up for them and no means of representing themselves to a higher authority. Animals are in precisely that position. Unless we are mindful of their interests and speak out loudly on their behalf, abuse and cruelty go unchallenged.